Saturday 1 September 2012

Big History and Kindle Readfing

A few weeks ago I downloaded, quiet by chance, a torrent from The Teaching Company's Great Courses entitled Big History and since then I’ve been attempting to listen to all 48 lectures which covers the Big History of the Universe, Galaxy, Solar system, The Sun, The Earth, Life and Humanity. The course is awesome but unfortunately I have been trying to listen to it in bed which means that despite my best intentions I have over and over again fallen asleep while listening. My excuse is I work nights and it’s difficult to remain awake the whole time and as I have the lectures as a playlist as one ends the next automatically begins. So for the last few evenings at work I’ve tried to listen when we are quiet but even that at times it’s difficult not to drift off because the lecture, Prof David Christian, has quite a soporific voice and much like Bill Bryson inadvertently lulls me to sleep. Well despite all these handicaps I’ve finally made it as far as the first Agrarian Civilization (Mesopotamia)  so I’m happy to say I’ve only another 13 lectures and an additional 4,000 years to go before I’m bang up to date. Of course at that point I’ll probably need to go back to the beginning and start again.





In a similar vein I downloaded a torrent of eBooks containing the New York Times Fiction and Non-Fiction bestsellers of June 2012 and again I’ve been pleased to discover a host of non-fiction books that I’m really enjoying reading. I just finished, this evening, Putin’s Labyrinth by Steve Levine  and I’m also reading the story of the mercenary group Blackwater: The Rise of The World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army by Jeremy Scahill , a book tracing the origins of the Anonymous organisation We Are Anonymous by Parmy Olson    and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain

No comments: