Thursday 22 March 2007

To The Bastards The Spoils

It's 03.40 GMT and I've been looking at the Amazon web site for awhile. Somehow ended up looking at books about post communist Russia. What a depressing situation, after 70 yrs of oppression it appears once again that the bastards have got the spoils. From the Mafia to the Oligarchs everyone preys on the least advantaged. No wonder Russia is a nation of alcoholics. Even with their new found Gas & Oil reserves one wonders whether any of this wealth will ever filter down to the masses or will it be spent on buying more football teams for the super rich. This got me thinking :

How should I bring up my children?

Is it in their best interests for me to encourage them to be greedy grasping bastards, always on the look out for Number One,

or

Should I encourage them to be kind caring human beings with empathy and concern for others?

I know what I'd prefer but would that be best for them? Does every thinking parent struggle with this? A few decades ago it could be avoided because the West was King of the Heap. We could afford to encourage concern and compassion (so long as we didn't really act on it), but now with China, India, Brazil and Russia ascendant will they be growing up in a World where this is still possible or will they be in such a struggle merely to survive that compassion will become a luxury that they can't afford.

No matter how I try to envisage it I can't ever see China, or the others, ever sending aid to the West if our economies implore in the face of their competition.

So Devil take the hindmost and I only look out for my own?

No comments: