Wednesday 1 July 2009

June 28 - 30 - From Liecester with Love and Night School French

Sunday 28

Absolutely knackered, slept the day away, work tonight, Deb left us all asleep and went to the allotment at 8:00 am, she didn't return until midday. Four hours weeding is preferable, apparently, to staying at home and looking after her 3 sleeping beauties. At work i was on EA and it's a good thing I was because the system had crashed and jobs had been recorded on excel sheets that weren't fully compatible with the back-up excel system we use when the main system goes down. Luckily I know, to a degree, my way around excel and I was able, eventually to transfer the relevant data. Let us hope it's fixed by tomorrow night or I'll be flitting back and forth all night long helping out whoever is doing it that night.

Monday 29

Home, bed, work, system fixed, HURRY. Got this blog up to date to Sat 27, but I still have to insert some pics and videos later this week when I'm at home.

Tuesday 30

• Home this morning and I have to get to bed at a reasonable time because tonight it’s the year 6 play “From Leicester with Love” staring, amongst others, the Natster as Dandinni servant to the Prince and Italian Allo Allo knock-off. The play is a synthesis of James Bond and Cinderella and Nat’s character is an amalgam of Dandinni and Capt Bertorelli from the Allo Allo TV series. His catch phrases will is “Whata mistaka to maka” whilst slapping his forehead and “Bootiful Laidies”.


I made it to bed for about 11:00 and managed to get some sleep, the humidity hasn’t abated and sleeping is difficult in this heat. I got up at 5:00 pm in order to have time to eat before we left for Millfield. Nat had to be in school for 6:30 and we wanted to get there early in order to get seats at the front. We dropped Han, who had seen the matinee performance that afternoon, off at Donna’s and reached the school at about 6:15. Chatted with the teachers and grabbed 2 front row seats.
Then I met someone I’d known 20 yrs ago and rarely seen since. In the late 1980’s, when I worked in London, I did a one yr Immersion French night school course at Rowley Fields College. One of the people on the course was a chap named Brian and it was he who was crossing the room to say hello, he was as nice and as funny a guy as I remembered. I’ve always regretted that circumstances conspired to cause me to lose contact with everyone in the group*

We chatted for a while until finally the performance began, (INSERT VID) it was brilliant from start to finish and I don’t say that just because my Son was in it. The three lads who played the evil stepmother (Blowave) and the 2 Ugly Sisters all had superb comic timing and could really act. Nat, for his part, Ham’d it up with a vengeance and proved to be especially popular with the “Bootiful Laidies” in the audience when he started kissing their hands. It was a great way for Year 6 to bow out; this will be the last thing they do together because they’re all off to various secondary schools in September.







* I lost contact with everyone because the course was only supposed to run for two terms course and somehow I didn’t get informed that the course had been extended to a third term. By the time I did find out and attended an event the group was also attending in Abbey Park it was made quite clear that I was now an outsider and no longer part of the group. As a result and because I had started temping, which made having a social life virtually impossible, I lost touch with everyone involved. It was a shame, we had all gotten on really well and we’d all had a great time doing the course, especially when we all went to France for a weekend, but it seems I am fated to have acquaintances rather than friends.

No comments: