Monday 6 July 2009

Wed 1 – Sun 5 July - Allotment Toilet, Rob Hill Died, John's Lee Wood Camp, Jongleurs and Han's Photo.

Wednesday 1 – Don’t recall a lot about Wednesday; I had tried to avoid going to bed and losing the day but eventually, by about midday, I couldn’t stay awake any longer, and gave up on this plan. I didn’t emerge again until around 6:30 so missed all the Sunshine..…..Shame!!!
Deb and I went to the allotment later that evening and gave all the beds a good soaking.

Thursday 2 – Another sunny day, I spent most of it sitting in the garden reading. Everyone home for 3:40 too hot and humid to do much. Again, that evening, visited the allotment to water the beds. Surprise….there’s a composting toilet on the site
and Deb’s driven passed it everyday this week without noticing it, my excuse, on the wrong side of the car, wasn't I, so couldn't see it. Had a chat with George and Margaret about future plans for this amenity, perhaps we could get panels and have it solar powered?
Home, the kids couldn’t contain their disinterest as we enthused about the new toilet; odd that!

Friday 3

I didn’t know this at the time but in the early afternoon Rob Hill, a colleague I worked with in the Service Improvement Team a few years ago, died. I still don’t know the details, apparently he slipped in the car park went down hard and sustained fatal head injuries, God knows what he must have hit. He was only 40years old; you never know when it’s going to be your turn! Friends have created a page on Facebook in remembrance of him. Of the five males who were in the SIT three have since died, first Paul Whittington died in his sleep, then 3 yrs ago Duncan Hastie killed himself. Only Steve and I remain.

It’s Friday It’s 5 O’Clock and it’s Crackerjack well no actually it’s 5:30 and they’re off and away, the kids are off with Scouts and Cubs to camp at John’s Lee Wood. We won’t have them for nearly 3 whole days, YES 3 days!!! Nat hadn’t intended to attend this camp, because it was a mixed Cubs/Scouts event, but changed his mind at the last minute. He and Han should really have largely separate experiences as the Cubs are too small to take part in a lot of the activities the Scouts do. Well, only time will tell, lets see what they say when they get home!

Saturday 4

Hot sunny day, again, and still very humid, did a lot of not much and tried to stay comfortable. I think Deb and I went to the allotment but I’m not certain. It’s weird not having the kids at home, this is the first time they’ve both been away since last August. We’re treating ourselves this evening we’re having a night out…WTF! Yes for the first time in at least a couple of years Deb and I are going out together without the kids in tow. We’re off to Jongleurs



The Acts

R David
Unfortunately I can't find any videos of R David who was compare for the evening and absolutely spot-on. Jongleurs attracts a lot of Stag and Hen parties and he was unbelievable good at taking the P**s out of them. I’ve never seen him before but I’d recommend him highly (this last sentence is going to be repeated quite frequently).

Smug Roberts

Smug is a standup a character actor writer and force of nature. He is currently starring in Channel 4's new prison drama Buried. Again, I’d never seem him before and his I missed some of his performance because of the brainless heckler sitting behind Deb. What I did catch was very funny and there were times when I though I was going to have an accident because I was laughing so much. I repeat my comment about above Re: R Dave

Trevor Crook

"My all time favourite funny man!, Superb totally unique" Rick Wakeman
Trevor is a dry laconic Australian who’s deadpan delivery is hilarious. I had seen him previously on TV, particularly old episodes of “Live at Jongleurs” and live he was no let down. I think I laughed even harder than I had during Smug’s routine.

After Trevor finished his act R David come back on stage for some more audience baiting prior to the interval. I was looking forward to the final act because I’d seen him at Jongleurs before and he was side splittingly funny. After the interval it was time for:

Dave Fulton

'Whiplash delivery and relentless pace" The List
Whoever it was who decided that Americans don't have any sense of irony they forgot to tell Dave Fulton. This wry Seattle wag is positively brimming over with ironic invective. With his stringy beard straggly long hair and rock 'n' roll black leather jacket Fulton looks more like a refugee from a defunct British heavy metal band than an allAmerican standup. He was totally awesome, as an American kid might say, he truly was, he should do more TV but perhaps he can’t tone down his act enough. Rude in the extreme don’t take a prude to his shows….please!

When we got home, we didn’t stay for the disco having spent all of our money before the comedy finished. I’d only taken £20 because when I went to the cash machine I discovered I only had £25 in my account which was somewhat less than I thought was in it. So we were on a tight budget because Deb was also all spent out this month. After we’d arrived and bought a pitcher of Raspberry Fissile(?) for Deb and a pitcher of beer for me we were left with the princely sum of 60 pence between us. So we were home by 11:00 and Deb went off to bed. I wanted to see Criminal Minds before going up: I was woken on the Settee by Deb at 7:30 AM!

Sunday 5

We had planned an early start today because there was work to be done on the allotment and we wanted to get started before it became too hot to work. We made it on site for about 8:15 but had been beaten too it by Trevor, who has the allotment 2 down from ours, who was already busy when we arrived. We made a brave attempt to clear another part of the plot that’s infested with bindweed but we didn’t feel as if we had achieved much. It’s so pervasive, every time you think you’ve cleared a patch you turn over some more soil and there it all still is, it’s heart breaking and I think we’re in for a long job.

We left around 11:00 and returned home, Deb was going shopping and I needed to go to bed because I was back at work that evening. Before I went upstairs I got a call from Deb to tell me she’s just discovered a text she’s been sent, last night, by Cathy (She’s Jonathan’s Mum – he was at camp with the kids and is Nat’s best friend). The text read:

“Jonathan + nat + LOADS of other scouts (and a map each) just set off on a night-time hike around bradgate, will get bk to camp at about 1am OMG!”

Well we know one not so little boy who’s going to be knackered when he gets home.

Finally, off to bed; the kids arrived home while I was there, (listening to back episodes of pod casts of Radio 4’s The Now Show. If, like me, you are a fan of topical cutting comedy then check out this programme its absolutely pucca) and were well behaved and quite for the most part, I told you they would be knackered! Deb woke me at 5:30; for dinner we had belly pork with the first of our allotment grown potatoes; they were nice but I’d have preferred them hot with butter rather than cold with salad.

Got everything ready for work, Deb dropped me off at 8:00; I immediately saw the cordoned off area, of the car park, and the bouquets that had been left there, I knew some one had died but never could have guessed who. I saw Barry M as I entered and asked him what had happened, he told me that it was Rob who had died and a little of what had happened.

On a happier note, I had received an email from Karina with an attachment. The attachment contained a copy of the photo I’d requested from the Big Day Out Event. The one of Han, high in the air, on the super trampolines. A great picture taken with a camera with God knows how many pixels. So far it seems to be able to be blown up infinitely.

Finally the Evil J was pulled by the Filth over the weekend for harassment. No details this is private; just to remind me when it happened.

No comments: