Friday 1 April 2011

The Brockington College Quiz Night

This evening Deb and I attended the first Brockington College Parents Annual Quiz Night (in fact it was only announced that it was to become an annual event at the end of the evening when said event had proved to be a great success) and great fun it was to! OK it was a little unfair that some teams had as many as eleven players and others as few as six but it wasn’t a deal breaker. Deb and I failed to secure a place on the Head’s Team’s (that was the 11 member team…no I’m not BITTER!!!) Table but found ourselves alone and loveless on the table next to them. It looked as if this was going to be a rerun of the quiz we attended when we were on holiday in Cornwall last October; Me Deb Nat and Hannah verse the others, some fielding eight or more players and we still came third (remember that it’ll be important later and I will be asking questions at the end1)

As luck would have it some parents who Deb knew, she knows everyone because she gets to meet them in the day whilst the night work beast that is me resides abed. Actually she knew these because Nat had been to their Son Jack’s birthday party at the Bowling Ally and she’s met them when she came to pick him up from the meal they went to afterward. Jack and Nat both play rugby for the school and being in the same year are in the same team.

With my usual lack of social grace I failed to learn their names or the names of their two companions who may or may not have also been parents of a child of Brockington. Well what a bit of luck this turned out to be because whilst I’m pretty good at quizzes (I shout at the screen during the Weakest Link ) both Deb and I have the same Achilles heel; we know sweet, sweet, sweet fuck all about sport. Well as it turned out all four of our team mates were veritable walking encyclopaedias of sporting knowledge. Added to which one of them (Jack’s Dad) was shit hot at pop music and actors too! Well, I may have been awaiting my chance to proudly answer Heisenberg’s Uncertainty principle, but neither of us was going to look this gift horse in the mouth and not only because gift horses have notoriously bad breath!

Well, we were steaming before the quiz even started and soon had most of the pictures questions either answered or named. Similarly, with the odd ones out we were doing reasonably well too but now it was time to begin the really thing.

The quiz was broken up into the usual rounds and because we used pencils and handed the sheets back in at the end for future use I can’t recall exactly what each round was about HOWEVER one thing I’ll never forget was the video round which started with this Lego Video version of Eddie Izzards Star-Wars Cantina sketch. Laught, Jesus the tears were rolling down my checks by the end and I honestly thought I was about tom lose control of my bowls. Now I remember why I’ve go the full versions of five of his concerts on my mobile (cell for you Yanks). If you’ve never seen this video then take a break, for A MOMENT before you continue reading, and enjoy…
Now you understand why I thought I was going to piss myself and if you’ve not come across the great Izzard before remember it was me who introduced you to him

Anyway the quiz continued on and eventually came to a close at 10:45. The winners were a team of six who are, allegedly, a fanatical pub quiz team and very competitive in second place were The Head’s Fucking Eleven (cheating bastards) and in third place were…Us, yes yet again Deb and I placed third (I told you to take note earlier).

It t’was a great night and I’m looking forward to next year and the rematch, we agreed we’d team up together again, but this time I think we’ll establish some rules about team numbers before we start…not that I’m bitter!

Were home for 11:15 to find the kids had gone to bed and neither one had killed the other. Given this was the first time we’d left them alone at home in the evening that’s not a bad result.

No comments: