Monday 15 June 2009

friday/sat/sunday 12-14 june: This Post is still a Work in Progress - Still have uploads to do , vids etc.

Blog Friday 12 June Saturday 13 June and Sunday 14 June

Friday
Allotment Hoe-Down at Braunstone Community Centre
7.30 – 11.00


Let the Dancing commence:










In between the various dances we had some more drinks, Christ I didn’t realise how expensive it has become to by drinks in a bar, the raffle was drawn, I won a bottle of scotch and Nat won a packet of “high end” socks! I haven’t bought a bottle of spirits in ages so I was looking forward to having a few nips when we got home.

We had paid £6.00 per ticket and this included a Ploughman’s lunch which was served at about 9:30. It was pretty basic but then again the object of the exercise was to raise money toward building a composting toilet (we succeeded fairly admirably; I learned the next day that we’d made a profit of £360 on the event).

I did dance, not all of them my hip does impose some constraints, but as I was doing the filming I don’t appear in any of the videos or pictures; at least that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

It was a great night; we left around 11:00 and made our way home. We’d all had a great time. Off to bed for everyone but me, I stayed down had a couple of scotches and watched a bit of TV.


Saturday

Not a lot during the morning, we all caught up on our sleep, later in the afternoon we went to the allotment and got some needed work done. We have a real problem with bindweed in one part of our plot and it needs constant vigilance to keep it under control and to stop it spreading. From everything I've read and been told it's a nightmare to eradicate. All we can do is try to keep it under control. As you can see from the picture below it’s a nasty little bugger.

Bindweed


Not a lot during the morning, we all caught up on our sleep, later in the afternoon we went to the allotment and got some needed work done. We have a real problem with bindweed in one part of our plot and it needs constant vigilance to keep it under control and to stop it spreading. From everything I've read and been told it's a nightmare to eradicate. All we can do is try to keep it under control. As you can see from the picture below it’s a nasty little bugger.

While we were working George and Margaret passed by and stopped for a chat. They are such a nice couple and they really put one hell of a lot of effort into making the Rosamund Avenue site the success it is. It was George who told me how much money we’d made from the previous night’s hoe-down.

When we finished we headed for home and dinner. We had a quite night and the kids were off to bed early in anticipation of a long day tomorrow. Remained downstairs myself to have a few more scotches and did a bit of reading.

Sunday


Sunday was the British Gas Big Day Out and our local event was being held at Stanford Hall near Lutterworth.



We arrived there at about 10:30 and the Kids headed straight for the flying trampolines. Below is some footage of Han doing her aerial thing



From here we moved on to the Archery butt where the kids killed 6 members of staff with only seven arrows, well done you two, the archery practice you put in with beavers and Cubs really paid off. From here we moved on to the laser clay pigeon shooting, which I was advise was brilliant. I had meant to have a go at both events myself but somehow managed to miss out. However it happened I didn't loose an arrow nor laser a pigeon; damn!
Nat then heade for the Segways and had his first go, we came back later and both he and I had a turn. Neither Deb nor Han wanted to have a go. Below is some film of Nat segwaying.


We continued trying things out, see photos above, and eventually decided to have a rest and picnic by the river. On our way Nat and Han tried their hands at riding the bucking bronco.


After another stop at the coconut shy and rifle range (4 coconuts and Han won on a goody bag for her shooting) we made it to the river where we sat, ate and drunk.

After lunch Han had her face painted and we three climbed the rock faces, where were you Deb: taking pictures in portrait instead of landscape mode is where you were!

We finally had a few free ice creams and made our way to the car par to return home, I was working that evening and needed to get some sleep. It had been a great day and it was a shame that so few people had attended. Apart from Barry Mayes and one or two other people I didn't recognise anyone there.

No comments: