Monday 30 March 2009

I Just (nearly) Pooed My Pants

I've just had the weirdest experience, which may have proved that I have a strong heart, sitting her typing when suddenly there was this enormous BANG!!!!!!!!!! against the french window to my left.

At first I thought someone had kicked a football, or something, over the fence; until I looked up and saw that a hawk or falcon (or some smallish bird of prey) had just taken a pigeon in flight and was still following through when, not realising that it was aimed at a wall of glass, smashed into the window.

It took me a few moments to realise that I was looking at two birds. At first it looked like a large pigeon that was shedding a 3rd wing. Astonishingly, the bird dragged the pigeon up the garden and after a few seconds took off and flew away as i was trying to get my camera up and running.

So no photo's I'm afraid unless you'd like to see a garden with a lot of feathers.

I've just looked at google images and the photo that looks most like the bird I saw is below. So maybe it was a hawk.



I'm a sceptic but unbelievably the Now Show, which is playing in the back round, has a feature about urban falcons/hawks hunting pigeons - weird or WHAT!!!
Well actually it's not; it's an example of what happens when you start dealing with large numbers. There may only be 1 in a million chance that a hawk hunting a pigeon will hit my window at approximately the same time that there's a TV programme discussing the subject of hawks hunting pigeons. However, if the programme has an audience of 4 million than what's just happened to me has probably happened to 3 other people as well.

It's like being 1 in a 1,000,000 in China - it means that there are 1,300+ people just like you in China too.
That fact alone actually brings home to you just how many people there are in China!!

No comments: