Monday 16 March 2009

Mondays Blog is Fair of Face (desperately seeking a title here)

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was actually able to log on to a computer on my first attempt tonight and I was available to take calls at 20.15 – unfeckin believable.

Deb took the day off today, Hannah’s super cold continues to plague her, as it still does me (sniff sniff). I went to bed at a reasonable time this morning (11.15) and got a decent amount of sleep (whilst continuing to listen to the Economist audio edition – more of which later).

This proved to be a big mistake, Hannah’s super cold took the opportunity to re-establish itself, so that when I awoke I felt really shitty again and still do!

Got up, watched news, shouted at the kids to be quite so I could hear the news, shouted some more for good measure, read some Vogon poetry

(aloud)

See, see the Welsh sky
Marvel at its big putrid green depths.
Tell me, Andy do you Wonder why the crocodile ignores you?
Why its foobly stare makes you feel crapulent. I can tell you;
It is worried by your fucstik facial growth.That looks like A cheese.
What's more, it knowsYour anus potting shed Smells of Scottish Snake Peas.
Everything under the big Welsh sky Asks why, why do you even bother?
You, your only charm is your resemblance to
A month dead dog's mouldy sweet breads.


Though it's hard to beat a Master.



Shouted at myself for shouting and preventing myself from hearing the news. Anyone got any idea what was on the news tonight, me I couldn’t hear a feckin thing, for all the shouting.

Home made chicken stew and dumplings for dinner delious; doesn’t food taste so much better when accompanied by a side order of thick slimy mucus?

Kissed Hannah bye when she went to Cubs, then watched “Was Darwin Wrong?” with Nat, he wasn’t (wrong) by the way but you’ll never convince creationists of this because they’re all feckin retards, as you can see below:



Deb drove me to work, must get bike serviced and see if I can cycle yet, where, as mentioned, astonishingly I was able to log on first go.

Returning to the economist, as promised earlier, the final article concerned the Internet archive, of which I’ve heard but of which I know little.

The Internet Archive was founded by Brewster Kahle in 1996.

My God what a visionary, to have established this organisation, an organisation whose mission statement is:

“Most societies place importance on preserving artefacts of their culture and heritage. Without such artefacts, civilization has no memory and no mechanism to learn from its successes and failures. Our culture now produces more and more artefacts in digital form. The Archive's mission is to help preserve those artefacts and create an Internet library for researchers, historians, and scholars.”

If I understand the foregoing correctly then what they are attempting to do is to preserve everything that has EVER been uploaded to the net and judging by their site they’re doing a pretty good job of it so far. The statement on the site itself says

“The Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public”

It's amazing what some human beings archieve in their lifetimes, puts the rest of us to shame.

No comments: