Monday 9 March 2009

Some 2008 Scribbles Transferred From From Opera

Tomorrow We're Off on Our Holidays
Friday, 8. February 2008, 15:23:25

Finally, I'm going back to Wales. Seven years after the death of my Dad, and, since then, virtually all the rest of my family, I'm going back to the place where I spent the first 19 (sometimes happy often not) years of my life. I'm looking forward to seeing Cardiff, which is where we will be staying, all the changes all the Doctor Who and Torchwood locations. I used to like Cardiff it was my place of escape, every month or so, on a Saturday, I'd take the pocket money and Birthday money and Christmas money I'd saved (yes once I could save money - it's so long ago it all seems like a dream) and take the train down the valley to the capital. Can you imagine what it was like to leave a tiny parochial Welsh mining village of a few thousand inhabitants and travel alone down to the BIG city? At one point I think I knew the location of very book shop within the city centre, second-hand and all, because this was what I would do when I got there, I would walk from bookshop to bookshop stocking up until the next visit - my personal indicator of inflation during the 1970's was the changes in the price of books from 25p a paperback up to £1.95. I can close my eyes even now and still see the layouts of the various shops even though I can’t remember some of their names. I can still close my eyes and BE THERE even now!! We're off tomorrow morning, first, Monty to the kennel, and then away we go. I'm not quite sure what we are going to do about returning to Abertysswg and Rhymney because there's no-one left there to stay with so it'll have to be a day trip. The only problem is that there are a lot of places I want to show to the kids that we might not have time to see. Whether we'll have time to travel up twice is moot, we're only there for a week and there are lots of other places Deb wants to visit.

Home
Sunday, 9. March 2008, 02:19:07

Came back from Wales a few weeks ago now but I haven't got the hang of the blogging habit yet so this is only my second post. Never kept a diaryb4 (a big regret) so it's not programmed into me in the way it is to say Tony Benn.

Wales was great, the place seems to have changed greatly since I lived there or even since I last visited. The seems to be a greater self confidence, perhaps devolution really was a good idea!!

Cardiff is a revelation especially the docks where the Welsh Assemble is located (so is TORCHWOOD only it's underneath). Talking of TORCHWOOD everone seems every proud of, both it and Doctor Who - as they should, well done BBC Wales - you must be laughing all the way to the bank!

It's Been a Year! 
Tuesday, 10. February 2009, 13:24:12

Just realised that it's been 1 whole year since I've written anything here! What year it's been:- Aint got one of the hips I started the year with. Thought 1 nite I was having a heart attack. And now I've got 2 get my shoulder looked at.

No comments: