Saturday 28 November 2009

Friday 27 Nov - New Glasses, Darkly Dreaming Mysickbones and Busy Busy Busy

Called into ASDA at 9am to see if my new glassses had arrived. Appalling service, not the assistants fault, only one member of staff on duty and I had to wait 20 minutes before I was attended to. My glasses were in and eventually I got home at 10:15 having arrived at ASDA at 9:00. Seem OK so far, going to try one pair tonight.

Today I had the weirdest of dreams, I don’t normally remember my dreams but on a scale of 1-10 this one was an 11. It involved, in no particular order, an iTrain (whatever that was, steam electric diesel? It seemed so clear at the time) which we (?) all kept going to see, the entire Army making a last ditch defence against persons (or things) unknown on the outskirts of the tiny Welsh village where I grew up, my new iPhone (I don’t have an iPhone) and US President Barack Obama on the iTrain licking my iPhone whilst pulling faces of delight as he did so, I don’t think it was sexual I think he just liked the phone.

When this, now fading – hence the lack of details, adventure ended I made my way Home via a bar that I can kind of still faintly visualise and which seemed of immense important, whilst I was there. Incidentally it was also choka block with famous people, none of whom I can now recall.
When I eventually arrived Home, I think I was in the bar a long time, I was confronted by my Wife and Kids who accused me of posting my Mother-in-Law a bottle of my piss. This, apparently, was accompanied by a note advising her to pour it through her nasty neighbour’s letter box. What they were hacked off about wasn’t my sending the piss but rather that someone who we knew socially had found out about it.
As I said, F**king Weird, but, in some ways, what was even stranger was that when I first woke;
1. I thought I was still in the dream because I thought the dream was reality and;
2. It stirred memories of similar vivid dreams I’ve had over the years and had almost forgotten about.
One of these dreams involved a very convoluted bus ride, I can sort of remember the various stops where I had to change buses, another involved an even more convoluted bicycle ride and a third (the strongest) a strong virtual false memory of jogging round the school grounds during lunchtime when I was in the sixth form (not true I was playing brag in the Common room during lunch) and jogging through the village and up to the top of the mountain in the evenings when I got home. Part of me is convinced that this really happened even though I’m “sure” it didn’t.
As I said previously, I’d almost forgotten these dreams but now I remember how vivid they seemed at the time and how, for years, I’ve never been totally sure whether the jogging memory was a dream or a real memory. It’s such a strong image that it’s difficult to believe it’s not a real memory, which it may be – I couldn’t, in all honestly, say definitely which it is.

It’s easy to see how people, with the right encouragement, can develop false memory syndrome. Remember how we were inundated with satanic abuse cases in the 1990’s (remember Cleveland anyone?); none of which turned out to be of any substance. Fathers accused of things they never did by daughters who had been encouraged to remember things that had never happened. Some families, it seems, never recovered.

Work – Busy, busy busy… we haven’t stopped tonight; I started at 8.30 and by 10.30 I’d taken over 30 calls. It’s now 00:54 and the calls are still coming thick and fast. They seem to be easing off slightly now, before there was a queue, but it’s still busier that it’s been all year up till now. Woprn new glasses tonight and not had any problems except for as little eye ache as my eyes adjusted to the new prescription.

No comments: