Friday 13 November 2009

Shakespear - Bill Bryson - Much Ado About Something

I bought this book from Waterstone's in January 2008 and I've only just got round to starting to read it (I bought it with the book tokens Deb's Parents sent me for Xmas 2007). The daft thing is that I've not really started reading it,actually I've started to dip into it whenever I go for my dinner break at work.

I rarely spend more than 5 minutes with it (I'm busy microwaving) but somehow I've still managed to read the first 80 pages or so already. It's remained in my rucksack at all other times.

The truth of the matter is that like ALL his other books this one just slips across your eyes and into your brain in the same way that a brick doesn't**. There's something utterly seductive about Bryson's style of writing; it draws you in and before you know it you've consumed great chunks of it. This latest work shares these qualities in full measure; I recommend it highly!

I'm looking forward to reading the rest but only at lunch lest it vanish in a flash. This way I can savor it for a little longer.


**Yes I fully acknowledge I nicked that metaphor lock stock and barrel from the late Douglas Adams.

No comments: