Sunday 28 March 2010

I Love Google Street View

I've just spent the quiet part of the night looking at where I grew up and where I went to school. Why the heck do all these A-holes complain that GSV constitutes an invasion of privacy? The faces of people are pixelated out as are car number plates; the cameras can only photograph what people walking on the same streets can see. The photographs are approximately 2 years old by the time they get on line so they are not actually going to let a burglar know that the property’s empty! If you like to stand bollock naked in the front window of your house, displaying all you have to all and sundry, then that’s your business but you can't subsequently complain about privacy issues. Private-Exhibitionist is an oxymoron; and by that I don't mean you’re a stupid cow although you may well be!
Anyway back to my original point, I haven’t really walked these streets for the best part of 35 years but GSV makes it seem like only yesterday when I did. It’s amazing to see what has stayed the same as I remember and what’s changed. The cafĂ© we used to get hot dogs from after the Saturday morning cinema is still there! I don’t know how long it was there before I started going to those performances but as an ongoing concern that business must be at least 50 years old! People bitch on about Google at the moment, that’s the cost of being successful and big, but they miss the point. Whilst Google certainly seems to represent a license to print money; at it's heart it remains a nerd’s paradise. Filled with very clever people who just want to see what they can do. Who else would have put the time and money into GSV other than a bunch of nerdy geeks who wanted to know if it was possible to realise an extraordinary idea. Well it proved to be possible and it’s bloody fantastic so why don’t all you moaning minis just go *&%$ yourselves! It’s like having a visual diary, smell may be the strongest sense for recalling old memories but vision is a close second. As I walked the virtual streets images triggered memories I hadn’t thought about for decades. I’m going to trawl through all the places were important and meant something to me as a child and try and write down the recollections they trigger. Maybe these will trigger further recollections and so on and so on until I can remember much of what I’d thought forgotten. No generation before ours has ever had such an opportunity! So to the naysayer’s I say (to quote Frankie Howard) Nay, Nay and Thrice Nay you Bummers!!!!

No comments: