Wednesday 22 April 2009

Thursday 23 April - PC Nil v Who's The Daddy One

I'd been thinking about the PC and the more I thought the more convinced I became that we had a hardware rather than a software fault. To lose the Hard Drives and both operating systems but to still be able to boot from disk implies a problem with physically accessing the hard drives. With nothing to lose I decide to remove the case and investigate. Half an hour later after tracing wires I was left with what appeared to be a wire fitted with a connector that wasn't connected to anything and, what looked like, a possibly empty connection slot. As I said, nothing to lose, it's out of guarantee and I'm not going to get charged anymore if I take it to PC World faulty as is or faulty as after, if that makes sense. Reconnected, rebuilt and powered up - hello Windows, hello Ubuntu and hello missing hard drives. Who's the Daddy now then?

Han is back at school, she returned on Tuesday, and today she decided to wear her new shoes. Apparently, I'm told, they are the latest fashion, they've got turned up toes, and, so far, she's the only girl in her class with a pair. Naturally (?) this led to her getting some comments about them from a number of the nastier girls and one of the boys - strange behavior for an 8 year old boy! Thankfully she didn't seem too concerned; this is good news because normally she's rather sensitive about this sort of thing and gets quite upset when it happens.

Nat's class did a "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" type quiz today, can't remember the topic - medical I think, and Nat says he was the only one in his class to make it to the million pound question which he got right. "Well done my son!" To celebrate we had a fight, Nat armed himself with a vicious cardboard tube whilst I made do with a simple tea-towel. Why is it so satisfying to flick you first born with a tea towel traveling at near sonic speed? I don't know, but it gives me a buzz so it must be good. Realising his tactical error Nat decided to change weapons and grabbed a mop I retained my trusty towel and soon disarmed him. He then picked up a garden rake, at which point I told him to stop being silly and went indoors. Who's the Daddy now then?

Han was still too poorly to go to Judo so she stayed a home with me and went to bed about 8:45 to listen to Harry Potter on her iPod.

Deb and Nat home around 9:00 we watched the apprentice which was pants, you'll understand if you saw it, then they went to bed.

I stayed up to watch Question Time, David (I take no prisoners) Starkey was one of the panelists and was at his acerbic best. That man doesn't suffer fools gladly or otherwise. I don't know why I like him so much, he's totally arrogant without being arrogant. He's a scholar of the highest calibre who calls it as he sees it without fear or favour, oh yes, now I remember why I like him. In addition to which his history programmes are superb and he's a star on Radio 4's The Moral Maze - when oh when will the BBC get around to making this available as a podcast? Followed this up with This Week which, this week featured David Gest (Liza Minnelli's X) as a guest - what a peculiar looking fellow he is - considering if gossip is corrupting politics and if the public has become obsessed with what MPs are up to - rather than what they believe in?
David Alan Gest is an American concert promoter and media personality, perhaps best known for his turbulent marriage to Liza Minnelli, friendship with The Jackson 5 and appearance on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!.

Did anybody mention very very very very very bad cosmetic surgery. His after pictures look like the before pictures of a very bad burns victim!

To Bed

No comments: