Tuesday 18 May 2010

In Stitches…For Now!! Meeting Clash, Gone…Yeah, Time is Flying… Discontinuity Rules

It’s 09:52 and I’m waiting to go over to see the nurse to have my stitches/staples removed. If I remember correctly it’ll be a very odd feeling, not painful but weird. I’ve got the spare special dressings they gave me and asked me to return if unused and I mustn’t forget to take the snips. When you leave hospital they gave you a pair of snippets to give to the nurses to cut the staples with. Just managed to give myself an all over wash; I woke drenched in sweat so there was no way, pain or not, that I was going over there without at least an all over rubdown.

Just rung the school to let them know I’ll be late for the finance meeting tomorrow as it clashes with the meeting we have with Nat’s teachers tomorrow after school. Hopefully I’ll only be about 10 minutes or so late. Typical; my diary is empty for months on both sides two events and they are both on the same day!

10:48 They Are Out..Hooray, just been to see the nurse (Wendy)who removed all 28 of my staples in about five minutes. Everything seems fine so no new dressing been left exposed to heal. Wow, what a difference it makes not having the pulling of the staples and the dressing in place. most of the area around the wound is still pretty numb and I’ve got the twinges as the nerves reunite to look forward too. If it’s like last time it’ll take about 8-12 months before I get full feeling back in the surrounding skin. I remembered to return the expensive dressings so that’s my good deed for the day done. I think I’ll have a little rest to let my leg get used to being staple-less then perhaps good for a walk to start building muscle strength.

AS I’d nothing better to do I was just going through my many internet bookmarks deleting dead links; it’s astonishing how many you accumulate ”that’s interesting I must bookmark it for future reference”  and before you know it when you look at your bookmarks there are literally thousands of them, and given the ephemeral nature of the internet many, if not most, are by now dead links. Anyway, one link I came across was about the death of  Anna Nicole Smith the Playboy model who married a 90+ year old billionaire and who was involved in litigation, with his family, over his will for the last decade or so. Why do I mention it? Because if you’d asked me when she had died I’d probably have said last year maybe a little longer…she died in FEB 2007 – over 3 years ago!!! This is why I keep saying to Deb, much to her annoyance, that I can’t believe how quick time is passing. Everyone says that relative time speeds up as you get older but I’m convinced that being on this four on four off night shift has exacerbated this for me; I no longer have any intuitive sense of what day, or even what month,  it is. Most people, including me at one time,  know what day it is without even thinking about it: whilst writing that last sentence I realised I couldn’t remember how old I was! ANS’s death is a perfect example of this disconnection from time  but equally it is true with the kids, I can’t recollect each of their school years as separate discrete periods of time each of which should have its own memorable incidences. The last six years seems to have blended into one amorphous whole. When I’m fully mobile I’m going to have to address this issue and get some structure back into my life!

No comments: