Tuesday 25 May 2010

Tuesday 25 May – Cheeky Birdie, Governors Meeting, Governors Meal

Popped outside a little while ago only to see this little bird perched on the step ladder outside our back door displaying utter fearlessness. The brave chap just sat there as i got closer to take a look at it; I’ll get a picture, I thought, so in I went to get my phone and low and behold when i came back he/she was still there. I got quite close, just a couple of feet away, but still it didn’t react. I managed to get three snaps before, suddenly, my freshly charged battery advised me it was flat and the phone shut down. I rushed inside to change it for a new one but by this time Monty had spotted the little “fellow” and that was that. Note to Self; bite the bullet and buy some new batteries as this lot all seem to be reaching the end of their recharging cycles! Anyway, Enjoy!
25/05/2010 - Share on Ovi
25/05/2010 - Share on Ovi
25/05/2010 - Share on Ovi

We seem to have quite a few birds nests in the garden this year and they all appear to have chicks in them. When Monty gets excited and tries to investigate the nests he keeps being dive bombed by the parents; poor dog he really hasn’t got a clue what’s going on!

Now, I’ve got to finish reading the Governors papers for tonight and on the way to the meeting I must remember to call at an ATM to get some cash for tonight. The last time we went for a meal to the Left bank the food was gorgeous; lets hope that history repeats itself!

Called at ATM on the way to the meeting so I’ve got funds and I can go out tonight…will I remember how to interact with adults in a social situation, it’s been so long?

The was a good turnout for the meeting and many items were discussed; the biggest issue, obviously, was the effect of the closure of Homfield school (see previous Governors meeting post) on future pupil levels at Millfield. We will be running at virtually maximum capacity and it will mean combining year groups. The current Year Four (Han’s Current Year) groups will , next term, be split between one mixed yr 4 / yr 5 group and 3 parallel year 5 / year 6 groups. There was some detailed discussion regarding the possible negative effects of this strategy, particularly the possibility that the yr 5 component of the yr 4 / yr 5 group might miss out on some of the yr 5/ yr 6 curriculum in the following academic year. The Head (and governor teaching staff) advised that this strategy had been used in previous years successfully. The main problem is that there are seven available classrooms and to avoid this solution would require access to eight. It was generally agreed that it would not be advantageous to try and get an additional mobile classroom because of the school’s past bad experience of having mobiles and because long term it would run the risk of raising the schools potential maximum intake figure to over 400+. Bearing in mind that the school was originally built to house around 250 children this would be a step to far and the school infrastructure would be unable to cope. It was agreed to return to this topic at the next Governors meeting in September. The meeting finally ended at about 8:00 PM and those of us going on for a meal prepared to leave (I got a lift there and back with Carl, chairman of Governors). The couldn’t make it nor could Debbie or Sanjay so in total there were ten of us; Lesley, Via, Sandie, Yvonne, Arthur, Tracey, Carl and Myself. We went to the Left Bank (like last time) on Braunstone Gate where on a Tuesday it’s 2-4-1 night for main courses. This makes having a meal there not unreasonably expensive if everyone teams up and eats off the special menu, which we all did. I started with the pate and had the duck as my main course along with 2 pints of pear cider. There was lots of chat and a few laughs and a good time was had by all. We were done for about 10:15 and Carl dropped me off at home around 10:30. I was stuffed and plonked myself down in my chair to allow my stomach the time it needed to get on with the process of digestion; they don’t stint on the portions at the Left ban and I would certainly recommend it to anyone; especially on a Tuesday!

No comments: