Thursday 20 May 2010

Thursday 20 May – Busted Arm, Han late, School Assessment, Weight Watchers. have I Got News For You

Before I start, a note for anyone using Windows Live Writer; before you check to see a preview of your post make sure that you have clicked “save draft” because I’d already written this;  but when I went to preview it Live Writer decided to become non-responsive and I lost the whole thing…AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Nat came downstairs, virtually in tears, this morning to say that his arm was still hurting  in fact it was excruciatingly painful and he thought that it might be broken. Deb asked me to ensure that Han got up for school and was washed and dressed and fed before she bundled him into the car and headed for A&E for an X-Ray. I’ll called han, who said she was getting dressed, and then promptly fell asleep in my chair. I say my chair because at the moment it’s the only chair that’s high enough for me to use without risking dislocating my new hip. I’d slept, intermittently, downstairs again and had reached the point where I just couldn’t stay awake. When I woke I saw that it was 8:45 and Han should have left for school ten minutes ago; I called up to her again, only to discover that she had spent the time sitting on her bed and was neither dressed washed nor fed. Naturally I went a little ballistic at this news and “gently” encouraged her to get her f**king arse in gear and get down here ASAP. Eventually she came down, without socks, and was immediately sent to get them. I managed to get her dressed and out the door, without breakfast, by about 8:50 and watched her run up the road to school. I called the school to advise she would be late and Jenny, the school secretary, told me she would check she’d got there and give me a call to let me know, which she did…lovely lady that she is. 
I rang Deb to see what was happening with Nat and she confirmed that he had indeed broken his arm and that they were now waiting for it to be put in plaster. I called Brockington College to let them know the situation and to say that Nat would be in later. They told me that Deb would have to come to reception with him so that the pastoral team could check that it would be safe for him to remain on the premises. Deb and Nat eventually arrived home and after Nat had changed into some looser clothing she drove him to school. He passed the assessment and was allowed on site. He’s quite chuffed, he now has a school laptop to do his work on, he gets to leave lessons five minutes early to avoid the crush and rush when classes end and his mates have to carry his stuff up and down stairs for him so that he has a hand free to hold on to the banister.

Both kids made it home without incident and Deb got ready to go to Weight Watchers with Donna. Donna has decided that she needs to lose weight and is joining Weight Watchers; because of her current medical condition she is entitled to have an appropriate friend go with her when she does anything like this and the said friends costs will be covered by Social Services (it’s cheaper than sending a social worker with her). She has nominated Deb as her “appropriate friend” so Deb goes too and effectively it’s half price for each of them. In the light of coming cuts it’s questionable how long this will continue. The bad news, for we three, is that Deb has decided that we all need to lose weight and so we will be joining her WW program. Less food more exercise and we all take the dog out together for a long walk every day. I can see Nat the “Waste Disposal Unit” being out out by this as the only diet he favours is the Sea Food Diet; when he sees food he eats it!.
After Han had gone to bed Nat and I watched Have I Got News For You; I have a new respect for Eamonn Holmes, who I’ve only ever before seen presenting daytime TV, who was the guest presenter. He was extremely funny and showed a different side to his talents. Given that he had not only to deal with the two regulars but also with Armando Iannucci he came out of the whole experience covered in glory; well perhaps that’s going a bit far but he did do very well indeed. Whatever, I laughed my socks off which isn’t easy when you’re wearing DVT (deep vein thrombosis) socks! After Nat went to bed Deb and I watched Question Time. Afterward  she went to bed and I settled in to watch This Week ( yes sometimes I’m a bit of a politics junkie) and promptly fell asleep, woke rewound virgin plus box fell asleep, woke rewound virgin plus box fell asleep, woke gave up and went to bed.

No comments: