Wednesday 6 October 2010

Bed. Prostrate, Baked Potato, Super Coffee, Lego, New York, Overtime, Scouts, Lock Door, Briefing

When I got home this morning I knew I couldn’t remain awake for very long because I’d be starting work early that evening. I was due in at 18:55 (two hours early) so I’d have to be out of bed by 17:00 at the latest. Eventually I went to bed at around 11:30 and managed to grab five or so hours of broken sleep; I kept waking for a pee which is weird as I’d had nowt to drink before I went to bed…Well Hello There Middle-aged Prostate!!! I was up for Five and downstairs ready for munchies. I know I’ve got something of a pot belly at the moment but I think Deb’s idea of a main meal to last me through the night was a little lacking…One Baked potato with cheese!!! Somehow I managed ALL of it and subsequently dragged myself to the kitchen to prepare my flask of killer strength black coffee (12 spoons coffee 6 spoons sugar and hydrochloric acid to taste) and grad a ready meal for later. During this time Deb left to take Hannah to ballet and I was alone with Nat. I now learned, a little, about Lego and the USA. Apparently Brockington has paid for its students to enter the Lego robot (?) building challenge. The local area winners will go on to compete nationally in London and the winners there will go on to the World finals IN New York. Well Nat has formed his own team and is now convinced that they are going all the way to New York. I mean they haven’t got a clue, as yet, of what they’re going to build but whatever it is they’re going to win; isn’t unrealistic confidence a wonderful thing?


Nat will be going to Scouts before Deb gets back and I’ll be going before he leaves so if we’re not to be burgled Nat’s going to have to remember to lock the front door when he leaves! Full of trepidation, he’s got a memory like a sieve at times; I left at 18:15 and cycled to work.

When I arrived things were fairly busy; of course my desk was occupied so I had to find one elsewhere. The two hours flew by and at 21:00 when my normal hours were to start we were advised we were scheduled to attend a brief about the Company’s winter coping strategy. This went on until 22:30 and was very impressive. We’d been visited by the MD a few weeks before and he’d made a lot of promises that we’d all heard before. This time it appears we have an MD who actually puts his money where his mouth is. If this all pans out then this winter is going to be far less stressful than last!

I was back at my desk at 22:35 and the rest of the night passed predictably. Planned out my overtime for the weekend and was still undecided about Monday. Bugger I need another fourteen words to make it to Five Hundred and Seven.

No comments: