Monday 4 October 2010

Carl Liquorish ebooks, Kindel, Pen Drive, 12+ Gigs, Podcasts, Symbian, N8, Ash Leaving, Michaela, Skeptoid, Catholic School, EA Norman Wisdom Dies, Nat’s Blog

Today I recalled that Carl (former head of governors) had mentioned to me that he bought a Kindel from Amazon and I’d mentioned to him that I had thousands of eBooks on my PC and I was happy to let have any he wanted free of charge. Well I thought I best find all these books and send him a list of titles. Well I knew that I had “quite a few” eBooks but not a clue about how many it turned out to be. It turned out that I had in excess of 12 gigs and given that the average book takes up bytes that a pop mp3 then that’s one flip of a lot of books. I emailed Carl a list of some and received an astonished reply somewhat later to the effect that what I’d sent wasn’t a list so much as it was a library…I told you there were a lot! He was very interested in a number of authors and these I transferred to a pen drive. His daughter Paige picked them up later that day. I think in total the pen drive probably held a couple of hundred books in each in 3 different formats so I recon he’ll have enough to be getting on with! While I’d been doing this I’d also been reading tweets and various Google Reader feeds. Being a phone freak I’d closely followed the early reviews of the new Nokia N8 which had finally been released into the wild a few days before. It all looks good so far; the camera appears to be superlative and has received glowing reviews. So, unless something terrible is unexpectedly discovered, I’ve decided I’m going to treat myself to one. Overtime here I come!!!


I finally went to bed, back to work tonight, and while I was setting my phone up to listen to podcasts I had a quick look at FaceBook. Why I don’t know it’s not a site I visit all that often but Gods hand must have been at work because there at the very top of my feed was a message from Ash, a colleague, saying he’d got a new job and was starting it the following morning. Well that was a shook, I knew he’d applied for this particular post within the company but as of our last morning on Thursday he’d not received as much as an acknowledgement of his application. When he came in that evening to bid everyone farewell he explained what had happened. It turned out that he’d been called for an interview on the Friday afternoon and received a phone call at19:30 Sunday evening asking him if he could start work on Tuesday morning! I’m glad for him that he got it but I’ll miss him; he’s one of the funniest and nicest people it’s been my pleasure to know. I’ll miss him greatly. SHIT I’ve just realised the BASTARD’S got my Superman Returns DVD the thieving F**king C**t!!!

At work that evening I got landed with EA and it was that busy that I went on it straight away at 9:00 to help out the evening staff (normally we take this over at 11:00). A little after 01:00, when things had quietened down, I got chatting to Michaela (she runs EA during the evening and stays on for a few hours after we take over –p she wants to join our team I advised her to strike while the irons hot with about conspiracy theories that her friends believe and which they keep trying to get her to subscribe to. This lead into a discussion about scepticism and religion and I directed her toward Skeptoid as a good initial source of information about these weird conspiracies. Turns out her parents put her in a Catholic School (they aren’t Catholics) where the Nuns tried their usual tricks. The great thing is the more they tried to convert her the more she rebelled. I knew there was a reason why I liked her. She’s going to listen to Skeptoid when she’s off later in the week so hopefully she’ll be another convert to the sceptic cause!

I noticed that, yet again, Nat hasn’t written his blog, there’ll be a reckoning tomorrow and he’s very very close to losing that skiing trip. Finally, Norman Wisdom the Comedian and actor passed away today age 95 yrs. Until he had a stroke 6 months ago he was as fit as a fiddle and could still dance. Goodbye Mr Wisdom, I can’t claim to be a huge fan of your style of slapstick but still RESPECT to you.

No comments: