Wednesday 16 June 2010

Quite Day - Too Tyre’d to Fill In (cycle and dentist pun), There’s Always Someone Worse Off, Library, 10 Pence a Book! Evening Cycle to Asda, Woops: Careful how you joke on Twitter

What a morning, paid yesterday broke today. I had a dental appointment this morning, just a check up I thought. In addition, on my way there, I needed to take Nat’s bike to the Raleigh Shop, which was fun what with me also having to somehow take my crutch with me, to get the back tyre puncture repaired and both tyres injected with green slime. In addition(spotting a pattern anyone?) I owed the dentist £16.00 from my last visit to the hygienist; I’d forgotten the debt I thought I'd told Deb and she’d paid it but apparently I hadn’t remembered to tell her. So I was expecting a smallish outlay but this was compounded when I was told that one of my fillings had broken and was in immanent danger of dropping out; leaving me, no doubt, writhing on the floor in agony. Dominic (my dentist) decided that it needed to be replaced immediately, injected me with novocaine and despatched me back to the waiting room until the area was numb enough for him to continue.
When I’d first arrived I’d been chatting with the attractive young lady the other patient in reception. We’d been discussing her iPhone and whether she’s be upgrading now she had an “old one” (she wouldn’t, it’s provided by her employer…lucky cow). She said how useful she found it when she had to travel to unfamiliar venues and I agreed that GPS in a phone was a godsend.
We continued to chat, me and bloody phones, while we waited. She then got the equally good news, from Dominic, that the tooth her filling that had dropped out of really needed to be crowned or extracted. Rubbing his hands with unrepressed glee (not really) he advised that this would “only” cost £198. If I’d thought I had problems then this, at least, put them into some kind of perspective. She found herself in a quandary; she was saving to get married next year (must be planning a bit of a do) so she’d prefer not to have to do this, especially as her fiancée also needed approximately £200 of dental work carried out also. So should they have the work done, and spend £400 less on the wedding, or risk gap toothed photos?  So you see there’s always someone worse off than you; eventually my tooth was re-filled, the cheque written and I hobbled home.
When the kids came home Nat wanted to go to the local library to see whether he could get another of the CHERUB books because the remaining title (one he he’s not read and is desperate to) is only available from his school library if you’re a year nine. So he Han and I trooped off to the Civic Centre where they’ve built the new local library (I say new; it’s probably been there for two years now – tempus fugit). What a great time we had, the walk there was a chance to chat and the Kingsway, in the summer, is a gorgeous display of greenery. We eventually arrived and Han discovered that Shantell was there with a group of friends from her school (Shantell  lives two doors away with her Mum but she was spending the night with her Dad who lives near the library). Han plonked herself down with them Nat quizzed the librarian about CHERUB and I perused the shelves. They were selling off books at 10 pence each and i bought five total shop cost £37!!! I must say a discount of £36.50 was most acceptable. Nat got a graphic novel and one book, Han got a couple of books and I borrowed two as well. Han popped to the shops with Shantell and as Deb called shortly later,to get us home for tea, we went in search of her. We were half way home when Deb picked us up. Home, tea han off to ballet, Nat changed for scouts, Nat picked up by Darren and now could I ride my bike.
Yesterday I’d successfully, but with some difficulty, I’d managed to mount my bike and ride it a few years without any significant pain. I wanted a few things from Asda and decided to see if I could, slowly, ride there. Yep; I could but I couldn’t take a crutch so would I be able to walk when i got there. Parked up and hobbled to a trolley which found itself pressed into service as a ersatz crutch. No problem, got my bits and bobs and cycled home before Deb and han returned.
Later, after we’d watch the Big Brother highlights and everyone was in bed I had a look on Twitter on my mobile to see what was what. The following exchange took place and was a reminder of how things can get misunderstood on the internet. As you can see it all ended happily but it could have been a close call. Beware!
  • TBBL - WARNING: Between the hours of 9pm and 4:30am @totalbblive updates may contain strong language and adult content! #BB11
  • ME - @totalbblive @TotalBBLive that’s well out of fucking order that is. What the fuck ever happened to broadcasting standards? Cunts!
  • TBBL - @mysickbones I beg your pardon? For us to deliver the best possible updates we also have to put up this warning as the LS does.
  • TBBL - @mysickbones For us to deliver Live Updates, this warning needs to be in place as the housemates talk about adult stuff between these hours
  • ME - @TotalBBLive It was a joke. I'm pretty sure you realise this but just in case 2 avoid possible offence I though I'd clarify that. All best.
  • TBBL - @mysickbones Not offended in the slightest, sometimes it's hard to judge one's expressions via the internet. sorry for any confusion.
  • ME - @TotalBBLive Cheers.:) keep up the good work enjoying your tweets immensely. Never really watched BB before it's quite compelling isn't it?
  • TBBL - @mysickbones Yes, we love it :) Thank You for the compliment, it really means a lot to us!
 ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL; SO GLAD, A NICE BUNCH OF PEOPLE I WOULD HAVE HATED TO INADVERTANTLY OFFEND THEM !

No comments: