Tuesday 5 May 2009

Let Me Tell U A Story, Homer, Wolverine, A Nokia N82 and my life in Literary Criticism

Apple loggies to the late Max Bygrave for the heading. I've just read a really enjoyable short story forwarded to me by Tor Books Called the Last Son of Tomorrow which involves the life story of an immortal superhero. I enjoyed the story very much and commented to that effect, but what impressed me most, was seeing how someone had managed to write a tale from now to the end of the Universe and put it in a short story. Every sentence was only as long as it needed to be, there wasn't any fluff. I can see why writers say that short stories are the hardest stories to write.

For Fun: Some of MY Favourite Videos




Nat and I are going to see X-Men Origins : Wolverine tomorrow using an Orange Wednesday 241 text (Deb's taking Han to see Hannah Montana the Movie - That'll teach you to be the Mother) so there's never going to be a better excuse than this to show the trailer below!


OH MY GOD, could it be possible? I've just seen a Nokia N82
on sale on eBay, currently only 2 bidders (mind there was only one an hour ago - shame), present price £62 auction ending 8:20 am today. This could be my chance to bag the phone I'm desperate to get my hands on. Nokia just cleared it's remaining stock of these for £199 a pop. This is basically the N95 in a candybar form and with a Xenon flash. Most people consider it to be the best camera phone Nokia has yet produced. There's even an N82 blog site on the net. If I can get a hold of this I can unlock it update the software and then install a 16Gigabyte memory card. Well, we'll know one way or another in 4 hours and 14 minutes from now.
*&%"%*&+)(*& DAMM, I've just got back from lunch and now (05:04am) there're 3 bidders and the price has gone up to £87. Bugger, when I first saw it I had hoped I was the only one, who the hell else is looking at eBay at this time of the morning? With 3 bidders we may have a war, however, I've just checked the bidding history and it looks like the jump to £87 is because bidder 3 set a max of £85 and someones tried to get above that. Maybe there's still hope, if I can get it for under a TON it'll still be a bargain.

Re: Last Son of Tomorrow. I've just returned to the site to see what other comments have been registered only to find that the authors responded and one of his responses is to my comment, he says:

gregvaneekhout
VIEW ALL BY · Tuesday May 05, 2009 06:15pm EDT


First of all, thanks for all the comments. It's always gratifying when people care enough about something I wrote to talk about it, whether or not they liked it.

Lenny, I haven't read the JSA books, but I'll take a look for them next time I hit the comic book store. I *loved* those Alex Ross panels you linked to.

Mysickbones, I have faith that scientific thinking will come back around to support whatever cosmological theory best supports the story I want to tell. In other words, Big Crunch, Big Crunch na na na I can't hear you!

I just can't argue with that, I've already apologised as, of course, I should.

N82
It went for 97GBP, I was so, so tempted but in the end I chickened out. Maybe, oneday.

No comments: