Thursday 14 May 2009

Thursday 14 May - Sats, Brockington, Skype, J, Dementia and Some Questionable Comments.

Home, Bye Deb, Bye Kids, breakfast beer, fell asleep through the great Jeremy K so I must have been knackered so I woke myself up in order to go upstairs to go back to sleep – you couldn’t make it up, you couldn’t you know.
Slept until approx 5pm. When I got up Nat was in his bedroom, playing computer games and winding down after today’s SATs
When I enquired he responded to the effect that he thought he’s kicked arse; time will tell but I wouldn’t be surprised, he knows he’ll get cash toward an X-box if he gets straight 5’s.
I told him that I’d been looking at the Brockington website the previous night and there was now a curriculum document there that I hadn’t seen before and after I’d taken a close look last night I reckoned he was going to love his new school. He took a look, for himself, and agreed that it did seem to be the bee’s knees.
For dinner we had, death by cholesterol, which consisted of, Beacon, Sausages, Tomatoes, and Fried Eggs and …….
After the paramedic had brought me back and ensured that I would survive long enough to reach work and qualify for additional death benefits he left. What a nice imaginary chap he was if the preceding sentence wasn’t total bollocks I’d owe him my life.
Donna rang Deb and thus began an amusing interlude, where we experimented with using Skype on our mobiles and our PC simultaneously. ”I’ve got your text but now you’re trying to call me as well at the same time”, “what text I can’t see a text oh there it is”, “ are you sending that from your phone or the PC”. This went on for awhile until Deb and Donna had both appeared to grasp how it worked and what not to do if you didn’t want to cut yourself off. Deb was still connected to the PC and my phone and I switched on the PC speakers. After this we got the giggles as we were both calling out and the phone was picking this up and then the same sounds were coming from the speakers a fraction of a second later. On a practical note it demonstrated just how incredibly fast modern communications are; I call out, the phone picks up the sound, uploads it to the internet, the Skype service then transfers Debs upload to my account which downloads it to my PC which converts it into sound via the output speakers, all this and I’m hearing the beginning of the sentence before I’ve finished speaking it!

While all this had been going on J, who’s in Year 6 with Nat and who lives a few streets away, called. He doesn’t normally hang out all that much with Nat, preferring the company of the “Football Kids”, but he was having something of a problem with a bully amongst them so he decided to call on us instead. He’s a really nice kid but he’s got a mild form of autism and it gets him to trouble with these kids because he often says inappropriate things and they’re too ignorant to understand why. Mind you, a 16 year old who bullies an 11 year old certainly has a few serious problems himself! As for J, as usual Nan proceeded to practically kick the crap out of him so perhaps he was no safer with us than he was with the bully; what is it with that girl, why does she always have to jump on every older boy she comes into contact with? It does not bode well!

7:45 PM To Work.
I left home around this time in order to be sure I could start early and be ready to take calls by 8:25. Deb, it seems, had other plans and when we reached the main road she proceeded to turn right instead of left and headed off in the wrong direction. Ever since her birthday I’ve been waiting for the first signs of dementia to appear and it seems that they have. Eventually, after a trip around the new housing estate, that’s been built on the site of the old Jones and Shipman complex , to find somewhere to turn round we set off in the right direction. We did arrive in time but it was a close thing!

We were scheduled to have a major team meeting this evening with Karina, the out of hours centre manager, in attendance. She’s a doll, we used to work together when I was first at BGS and she hasn’t changed. Power hasn’t gone to her head and she rarely uses her stun gun on any of the staff without good cause. Before we started, as an icebreaker, we were asked to each take a sheet of paper and write down our opinion of the team member on our right and then pass this sheet onto the person on our left and to continue to do so until the sheet of paper with our names on got to us. The idea being that everyone would have by then written a comment about everyone else. It’s not as easy as it seems without being very banal. When my sheet arrived in front of me I was, in the main part pleased with what people had had to say about me (see photo below). I was however, concerned with one comment and it’s the one I’ve circled; what do you think?
From Miscellaneous

Am I being Paranoid?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAIRY YETI FLANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!