Thursday 7 May 2009

Wed 06 - Finally: Wolverine (not Wolvine as Das used to say), BlueBells and The Model

Finally we’ve been to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine and it wasn’t at all bad. As a long term fan of the X-Men (I bought all the related series from 79 – 01) I was a little concerned that they might make a hash of this film because, first Wolvie has such a huge back story and secondly because of the way they completely ruined Sabertooth in the first X-Men film. It didn’t happen, luckily, the film was pretty close to the origin story that had finally emerged in the comic books. They even managed to make Victor Creed (Sabertooth) the character he was supposed to be this time. Anyway, Nat and I enjoyed it and, in the end, that’s all that really matters. I’m suspicious of critics because everyone’s taste is different and I find I disagree with their opinions as often as I agree with them.

Re – Not Wolvine – 20 years ago, when we moved into the area where we live now, I got to know a group of the locals who used the nearby Pub. Amongst this group was a guy called Daz (a drug user of heroic proportions who never showed any ill effects from his excesses) who, like me, was a huge fan of the X-Men and of Wolverine in particular. The thing was he had never bothered to sound out the name and as a result always pronounced it as Wolvine. Daz has been dead for 20 years now, not from drugs (whilst completely sober he slipped going down a stair case, at a wedding, landed badly and broke his neck), but I can still hear him talking about Wolvine and it still makes me smile whenever I’m reminded of it.

After the film we stopped at Sainsbury’s to get some provisions (beer) and to see, for ourselves, the Bluebell Meadow nearby that we’d read about in the local magazine. As you can see, we weren’t disappointed; the field was covered in them. It was the first time I’d ever seen a bluebell meadow and I understand, now, why people rave about them.
Beautiful Bluebells



When we arrived home Han decided to put on “a show” and model the clothes that Dawn’s daughter had outgrown and that she had given to me for her. They were 12 yr olds clothes but nonetheless they all fitted her. Is she big for her age, I know that mentally she’s 8 going on 18?

No comments: