Sunday 3 May 2009

Saturday 2 May - The Allotment and Orion of The New Gods?

Nat's away for the day with Jacob and his family, they've gone to Coombe Abbey Park (?) Hannah has ballet from 12 - 3 and needs to go to the hospital afterward to have her broken thumb redressed.

Deb and I decided that this would be a chance to get the parsnips planted in peace ( I ended up doing these until Deb joined me, I was bodging holes and filling them with fertilizer - my wrists are now killing me) so we went to the allotment after dropping Han off at ballet. Spent a couple of hours there then home about 2:00 so Deb could have a wash and change and I could go to bed - work tonight.

Didn't quite work out that way, I spent a few hours on the computer, I've just got the complete run of The New Gods comics and I couldn't resist having a look. Christ, I opened the first issue and as soon as I saw the cover:


it was as if, it was 1971 again, and I was back in Kyrenia in, what is now, the Republic of Northern Cyprus. The memory was stunning in its clarity. I could remember seeing it in the shop, I've just located it on google maps. It was just in front of the Dome Hotel, where we were staying. Here's a more recent photo of the Dome showing the view from the sea. The sea pool was located at the end the promontory attached to the hotel. It appears to have been developed. Previously there was just a stone bridge leading out to the rocks where the pool had been excavated.

I can recall buying it and almost running to the sea pool to read it, I'd been eagerly awaiting the series in the UK but wasn't sure I'd ever get my hands on a copy, supplies of US comics in small Welsh villages were very hit and miss in those days, as they probably still are. I’ve waited 38 years to read the complete series, it’s been published, cancelled, reprinted, cancelled, renamed, cancelled etc. The total number of comics, including reprints, is quite large totalling a hefty 5 Gigabytes.

Five years before Star Wars Kirby created the original Dark Side and named it Darkseid


I think the reason I like smart phones, like my N95, so much is that they remind me of the Mother Boxes that the New Gods carried. I remember thinking, a mother box, what a cool thing that would be to have.

Eventually went to bed around about 4:00, I’d also loaded photos onto a pen drive in order to see if the photo frame that Deb had received for her birthday was working OK. Couldn't’t get it to accept the first pen drive but it worked fine with the second. Now all we need to do is choose some better photos. Mind you I thought the picture of my newly replaced hip scar, staples and all, was quite fetching.

No comments: