Tuesday 12 May 2009

Monday 11 May - Sats, Last Physio, a Testing Time and Poor Jane

Nat's Key Stage 2 SATS start today, first off it’s Science , the one they’re abolishing, so he’s not too worried about that one, after all he’s read and listened too Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything a number of times already.

When I spoke to him this afternoon, when he got home and I got up, he said he’d not had any great problems and thought he’d managed a five (top) mark (Henry – his enemy - is happily boosting that he thinks he’s managed a three – below average – and that his Mum is taking him to Borders to celebrate).

Tomorrow it’s English, Nat’s weakest subject, because his spelling and hand writing is as bad as mine. It’ll be such a shame if his marks are reduced because of this, after all he’s had a teenage reading age for the last couple of years and his comprehension is way ahead of his age as is his vocabulary – that’s not Daddy speaking that’s his teachers and his headmaster’s comments.

Finally, I’m off to see the physiotherapist for, what’s supposed to be, the last time. Appt for 7:00 so we set off at 6.20 which should be more than enough time to get there. When we reach the main turn-off for the Nuffield Hospital the road is blocked off by police cars and ambulances. Don’t know what was going on but now we only had 10 minutes to find our way to the hospital by another route. This is not a part of Leicester I’m familiar with and I’m afraid we’re gonna be late. Would you believe it: made it with 4 minutes to spare? Rushed in, told them I was there and then waited for 2 whole minutes before Gav the therapist came to collect me. The muscles in my right arm and shoulder seem to have recovered, they were strained whilst I was on crutches (double whammy) and whilst they can still be a little tender they are no longer causing me agony by the end of the night when I’m at work. Thank Gav and we’re away; once more we navigate by the seats of our pants and final get back on to the road we want. I’m gonna be early to work tonight. Deb and Nat, Han’s at cubs, drop me off around 7:50 so I’m 40 minutes early.

Tonight’s gonna be fun; Jenny, an in-day person who both of us have previously worked with, has nominated Ash and myself to be the Leicester end of a company wide systems test tonight. The email briefing document we’ve received makes absolutely no sense whatsoever so I’m not exactly sure what’s expected of us other than that the test is due to start at 9pm and schedule to run up until 3 am!

We signed on to the test at 9:00 and we were immediately immersed in a conference call which made little or no sense to either of us. I’m writing this at 00:44 and we’re still running the tests. From what I’ve been able to ascertain, we’re running a test to check on the systems ability to handle both data and voice transfers in real-time.

We’re now waiting for the testers to contact us again to complete the procedure; I’m listening in on them now trying to understand what if any conclusions they’ve reached and if the test has been a success. Just been told to fuck off it’s over 00:47.

01:00 hello public I love you, hey public it’s now 02:10 and I still haven’t received a call, do you no longer reciprocate my love? Hurrah, it’s not that bad, Ash has just mentioned that Jane logged onto an A Bank phone when we stole her phone earlier, we needed to be on line with the testers and simultaneously each separately logged on to another phone, so we needed a third phone. Jane’s was the only one in reach. Ash and I both plugged into her phone to connect to the testers and then logged onto the phones on our desks. Unfortunately, the phone she logged on to was an A bank phone, so very call that came through tried to connect to that bank first, so unless she was already on a call, she got the call. The same thing happened to me once, at least the night passed quickly. Ah, the penny has dropped; I think our holiday’s over!

No comments: