Wednesday 27 May 2009

Wednesday 27 May - Star Trek & Night in the Museum 2, University Homecoming 2009

Went to an early morning showing of Star Trek and A Night in the Museum 2 at the cinema. We saved money by getting 2 for 1 on Orange Wednesday tickets;it's what spare mobiles are for.

Nat and I saw Star Trek which was absolutely brilliant. The film managed to totally destroy all previous continuity so now they can do whatever they want in future films. Zachary Quinto as Spock is superb, he plays, equally well, the sociopathic Sylar in the TV series heroes. I hope there's a sequel it deserves one.


Deb and Han didn't say if their film was good but apparently our next trip to the USA is to include a visit to the Smithsonian!

When we got home the postman had been and included in amongst all the junk mail were this years University Homecoming booklets (we get one each. As I've previously mentioned I already knew about the planned refurbishment of the Percy Gee and had planned to attend homecoming this year for one last look. I went on line and registered for the events we want to go to, including the tour of the building.

I checked on eBay to see if there were any updates, in addition to the N82 I'd purchased some spare high capacity batteries for it last evening - smart phones eat batteries and i always carry at least one spare with me. Great news, per seller email my N82 was dispatched 10:16 am today; in addition, he has also already left me excellent feedback, must reciprocate if the phones as good as I hope it will be.

We spent some more time at the allotment, more digging weeding and planting: lets hope the kids are learning, after all that's the plan. If everything goes to hell in a hand basket hopefully they'll know how to grow their own food! I'm becoming, a very much, glass half empty person when it comes to the future. I don't think we are going to get our act together until things go really pear shaped. People, especially in the West, don't want to face reality; unless we seriously cut back on personal consumption the consequences, for the climate and other things, will be severe! In a way the current economic recession may be something of a wake-up call to the under 30's. However, the major problem we face is this; the World economic system is based on the premise of ever increasing growth in output so that over time everyone gets wealthier and wealthier and eventually we all share the consumption patterns of middle class westerners. This is an impossible system to sustain. It's Malthus Time!

Home, put my soapbox away, the usual!

No comments: