Tuesday 28 September 2010

Ovi Share Disappears, Governors Meeting, Stupid Scientology, Religious quiz, Christine O’Donnell, The Fail Whale Striketh

Well, finally, something to write about; this morning, while trying to upload a receipt for Deb, it appeared that all the photos I had stored in OVI Share (Nokia’s online photo storage application) had disappeared. I searched and search to no avail. When at last I found a “Share on Ovi” tab it proved to be non-functional. I noticed the Steve Litchfield; one of the authors of All About Symbian (a website dedicated to the
Nokia mobile phone operating system) was posting on Twitter. I immediately sent him a desperate Tweet asking if he knew what was going on; thirty seconds later Ovi Share reappeared on the main OVI site and I felt like the school spanner. He, lovely fellow that he is, did reply a little while later, I’d sent him another tweet by then saying all was well again, suggesting I download copies of my photos as a precaution as Nokia did seem intend on ending this aspect of their OVI services. So, it wasn’t just me that had gained that impression; every time they update the site the photo sharing application becomes more and more unwieldy and a right royal pain in the arse to use.

This evening was the first Governors meeting of the current academic year. What a momentous meeting, we lost a Chairman (Carl), gained a chairman (Nick), welcomed a new governor (Karen Spence) and anticipated the arrival of another (Simon Gladwin). There was some very sad news when the Head informed us that Nicola (one of the teacher Governors) had lost her babies during her pregnancy. I know how that feels and at this moment she must be feeling awful; it does get better Nicola it‘s just that it doesn’t feel as if it ever will. Nick took charge of the meeting, he’s a former local councillor and local government worker, and proceeded to shepherd us rapidly through the agenda.

John, the Head, briefed us on the effects on the school of absorbing 14 of the pupils who formerly attended Holmfield School (which closed at the end of last term). They were settling in well and there weren’t any major problems arising from their arrival…which was good. The school has now reached saturation level and we would be hard pressed to take on any additional pupils. We continue to have a relatively high proportion of SEN (special educational needs) kids and of course these are an additional drain on teaching resources. There was an under current of apprehension as to what effect future cuts would have on the school and the three local schools that make up the catchment for this area. Ring fenced or not there are cuts coming and we’ll have spend clever if we are to weather them successfully. As ICT Governor I need to arrange a meeting fairly quickly with the deputy head Steve who is responsible for this area. There are pressures from one of the other schools to have more of the time of our IT technician mark and we need to avoid losing too much of his time ourselves. I need to meet with him, Mark and Aaron (the teacher who also has responsibility for IT and Hannah’s current form teacher).

Eventually we covered everything and the meeting ended with the agreement that, as then next meeting in November was the last before Xmas, we would go for a meal afterward and once more we decided on the Left Bank. Arthur, the local Vicar, took up some of the time querying the uses to which the mobile, in our grounds, was used and inquiring into the possibility of new buildings being erected on site…don’t you watch the news Arthur we ain’t getting any new buildings anytime soon!

Made it to work just before 10:00 and settled down for another night of fun and games. The second Panorama programme on Scientology aired tonight and, surprise, surprise as soon as I logged into Twitter I could see straight away that the hashtag #StupidScientology was trending in the top ten in the UK. Lots of these were very funny and I did my bit and contributed three of my own:

You don’t have to be a complete, utter and total idiot to fall #StupidScientology but… Oh, wait a minute, SORRY APPARENTLY YOU DO! #PANORAMA

Why did #Xenu throw people around volcanoes and A Bomb them? He was trying to establish himself in the Cratering Industry #stupidscientology

Dearest @engram don't leave me I promise I'll not be audited again! I need you, I'm sorry I fell for #stupidscientology I was totally pissed

I’ll have to watch it when I get home and see whether the stupid is catching; I’m praying to Xenu that it’s not.

Staying with the subject of stupidity I decided to read up on Christine O’Donnell  (in the Huffington Post no less - Home of all that is Woo), recent Republican victor in the Delaware Mid Term Primary, Teabagger and all around Christian Fundamentalist Wing Nut. What a waste of oxygen this woman is; she’d be hard pressed to score high enough to fail an Intelligence Test! What is it with the USA is the country determined to create it’s own pre-enlightenment dark age? The Right Wing Male Fundamentalists are bad enough but the women seem to be competing to show that they can out stupid them and they’re succeeding beyond their wildest dreams!

Kept reading and posting on Twitter but fell victim to the terrible Fail Whale on a couple of occasions. Also, for reasons unknown, New Twitter doesn’t work properly here; I’m unable to reply to or retweet anyone else’s tweets!

There was another article on Twitter concerning a questionnaire that had been used in the US to test people’s knowledge about their and other people’s religions. It was no surprise to discover that those who were the most religious were also the most ignorant. I took the quiz and scored 14/15 putting me ahead of 97% of the US population! If anyone’s interested the quiz can be found here.

Well that’s about it for today…unless something interesting happens between now and 08:00!

Something interesting did happen; at 06:50 I was told I had an individual QA briefing with simon and this lasted until 07:30. It was very informative but luckily I'm already doing everything that I was aware needed doing so there were just a few points concerning changes whilst I was away. I've gone through it all with a trusty highlighter pen and marked my bits.

No comments: