Sunday 12 September 2010

Twittering, Penn Jillette: A Complement and a Retweet. The Broken Link

1. Well have I made it into the big time or what? This evening I responded to a 9/11 related tweet sent out by Penn Juliette of Penn and Teller fame.

He had twittered “Imagine No Religion” with a link to a picture of the Twin Towers with the Sun raising between them. In response I replied with the following “@pennjillette Unfortunately although they worship an Imaginary Friend the essential problem with the religious is their lack of imagination! To which, to my astonishment, he replied with the following tweet direct to me: “pennjillette @mysickbones - Wow, very well written. I then discovered that he had retweeted my original tweet to his 1, 625,379 followers. Wow now that’s a lot of people reading what you have to say; mind you, as I attracted no more followers after this, maybe it’s not that big a deal. The thing is I do, after a year of effectively talking to myself, seem to have started interacting with others on Twitter. It seems to be a question of focusing on an area and then concentrating on it fully; with me that area is promoting atheism, science and scepticism. This wasn’t all, I had tweeted a link to A Kansan's Guide to Science (http://bit.ly/c3jhQI) to show that not everyone in that State was a fundamentalist God Bothering Bigot (although it is the State where the Flying Spaghetti Monster was originated; in response to a school board trying to introduce “Intelligent Design” into the school syllabus) which another twitterer forwarded to an American biblical fundamentalist. Unfortunately dicovg had accidently cut the last letter off of the end of the link so it didn’t work. I’ve sent him a tweet to advise him what’s happened; hopefully he’ll send it again.

No comments: