Sunday 1 August 2010

Back to Work, Multiple Dismissals, Nurse Lucy, Ash’s HTC Desire

After an absence of almost three months tonight I went back to work. I’m only going in for the one night; I normally work four on four off, to see how I manage. If everything’s OK I’ll do two nights next week three the following and get back to full timer the following week. With this in mind I hit the bed at 9:00 this morning and slept through until 6:00 PM. I was cycling to work because a0 I want to get back into cycling and b) I’m seeing Occupational health in the morning so Deb wouldn’t be able to pick me up anyway. I left home at about 7:55 and arrived, I’m pleased to say, at the site at 8:20. Not bad for a trip I haven’t made now for almost two years and after a hip replacement. I bumped into Bharat in the car park and we walked in together. JDM was already there, I thought it was his bike outside that I’d seen, and we started catching up. Well, I’ve missed some shenanigans’ while I’ve been off. Half the other night team have been dismissed for bullying another member of staff and three of the daytime managers had been suspended last week. When Carol arrived we discovered that these managers had now been fired but the reason given seems very suspicious. It would appear that they were dismissed for calling a CSA by a nickname he’d commonly used for the previous two years! It seems that everyone knew the guy by this name and lots of people didn’t know to whom you were referring if you used his correct name. To dismiss three managers, all of whom, I believe, have worked for the company for ten years or more, over such an issue seems extremely extreme, to say the least; undoubtedly there must have been some other major factor(s) in play! I’ve made it to 03:03, when I’m currently typing this, so there’s only five more hours to go. I’ll have to stay on until 09:00 in order to see Nurse Lucy but I’ll wait, either, in the TV room or canteen for the additional hour so won’t be any problem. I’m going to make it but I’m really glad that it’s just tonight, this week, as the discomfort of sitting for this length of time is beginning to build. Hopefully, next week will be easier and by the end of the month I should be fully reacclimatised. I’ll need to make sure I get to bed this AM if I want to go to boxing with Nat and Hannah this afternoon. I nearly forgot, earlier in the evening I got to have a little play with Ash’s new HTC Desire smart phone and what a lovely bit of kit it is. The only downside, I found, was that because I have rather small hands, especially for a man, I struggled, a little, to hold it comfortably in one hand. Additionally, it was heavier than I remembered it being (I’d handled one, at the Gadget Show Live, a few months back).

No comments: