Friday 13 August 2010

The Girl's Sleep Over, Pancakes, Nachos, Rugby Summer School, Bye Brandon.

I got home at about 08:30, just in time to bid Nat adieu as Deb was about to drop him off at Leicester Vipers for the first day of Rugby Summer School (for additional info see Nat’s Blog). I was left to deal with Hannah and Shantelle, who had stayed for a sleepover. They wanted to cook pancakes for breakfast and I was quickly dragooned into making (blueberry free) blue berry pancakes (US style pancakes, more scotch than crepes) as per the Shrek Cookbook. This did not go well; Hannah got out the scales and I began weighing and measuring. I didn’t realise that the scales were set on imperial measurements and so my 155 grams of flour was in fact 1.5oz of flour. Unfortunately the milk was correctly measured out in metric; the end result demonstrated, forcefully, why mixing these systems is always a no-no. Just like the Mars probe that was buggered when the US bits were built in imperial and the European bit were built in metric my pancakes were a total and unmitigated disaster. I might have spotted my error if I’d not been “surrounded” by two tweenies vying for the chance to sieve the flour and other ingredients. I should have seen the writing on the wall! After it became obvious that we weren’t having pancakes I prepared a plate of nachos covered these in cheese and then microwaved them. The girls seemed happy enough with this substitute. Afterward I was fully expecting them both to succumb to exhaustion and let me kip in peace but no such luck. Despite being up all night they were both chirpy and full of beans. Eventually I decided to go to bed and leave them to it. When I woke at four it was to discover that they were still going strong and had gone round to Shantelle’s house to play. By now Nat was also home and had informed us of the sad news that Brandon, tied of last season’s losing streak , had decided to leave the Vipers and, was in future, going to play for South Wigston instead. It’s a real shame that he’s leaving because he’s a great player and a lovely lad to boot.

No comments: