Tuesday 24 August 2010

Fosse Park, JJB Sports, Samsung Galaxy, Druckers, Smiths, Donna Hair Dresser, Wardrobe, Big Brother Eleven Final, Josie Wins, Ultimate BB, John McCririck

This morning we're off to the shops; specifically we're going to the Fosse Park Centre, one of Leicester's out of town shopping centres, which is a mere half mile away from our home. The purported purpose of the trip is to get Hannah a new pair of trainers for school but there are plans to stop for food and have a good poke around. We drove to the Fosse, yes I know it's only half a mile away but that's as the crow flies and we don't fly, parked and made our way to JJB Sports. I'm intrigued by this shop because I've never ever gone in there when everything isn’t on special offer. I don't know if it's a deliberate marketing ploy but I've never seen anything there priced up at full price. We first set about looking for some trainers for Hannah, after all this was our excuse for being here in the first place and eventually settled on a black pair of Velcro fastening ones. Hannah was wearing a long tee shirt/dress with a short denim skirt and I had to point out to her that, when she was lifting her leg to try the shoes on she was flashing her knickers which wasn't very ladylike but was very funny. Anyway, the JJB price strategy was working it's particular brand of magic and some we found ourselves buying far more than we had intended to. I got a tube of golf balls two packs of hollow plastic practice balls and a pack of pink golf tees. You may remember that we'd purchased a selection of clubs when we were at the Moss Meadows summer festival some weeks back; now at least we could get to use these.


From JJB’s we moved on to the Food Court adjacent to the store. This is a large seating area surrounded by various fast food establishments. In addition, there are a few other outlets including an Orange and an O2 store (I say store but really they're too small to swing a cat in). I headed for the Orange store where I could have a play with the phones while the girls decided what/where we were going to eat. Hannah followed as did, shock horror, Deb. I was about to receive a totally unexpected shock; Deb expressed the opinion that she liked a phone!!!!! Yes, Deb said she liked a phone, well after the staff had got me a chair and a glass of water and I was, once more, completely conscious, I took a look at what it was that had sparked her appreciation. It was the brand new huge screened Samsung Galaxy S.

Possible the best phone, with the possible exception of the iPhone four, currently on the market. Well she might not be interested in phones (sorry, mobile computers) but she knows quality when she sees it.

Hannah was desperate for a KFC (formerly known, I believe, as Kentucky Fried Chicken) but, eventually, we were able to persuade her that a coffee and cake in Druckers’ Patisserie would be nicer. She had a lemon cheese cake and Deb and I had Black Forest Gateaux as we used to when we visited Druckers in Birmingham many years back… it was so romantic! Romantic it may have been but expensive it most certainly was:-

Three Cakes Three Drinks ...£15.90!

When we finished Deb wanted to check out a few other clothing stores, to equip the kids for the new school year, while I wanted to browse round W.H. Smiths. Hannah decided she wanted to go to Smiths with me but didn’t want to stay with me while I checked out the O2 store. I walked her to Smiths and returned; bit pointless really as I spent all of five minutes in the O2 before I too left for Smiths. I found Hannah, as per usual, pursuing the art supplies and again, as per usual, asking if she could have the painting set she was examining. I neatly dodged the bullet and told her she'd have to ask her mother, sneaky ah? Leaving her I made over to book section and started checking out the titles there. Normally I start by looking at what's in the sci/fi section but for some reason I was drawn to popular history where I spotted about six books that I really want. One was Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar  which I've heard good things about, in addition I spotted a selection of books on the history of beer and brewing by an author who’s name now escapes me and finally John O’Farrell’s sequel to An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge)  An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain: or Sixty Years of Making the Same Stupid Mistakes as Always. I've read Utterly Impartial and it's both hilarious and informative, I'm trying to get Nat to read it at the moment, so I'm eager to get my hands on this follow up. Eventually, Deb phoned to say she's finished her tasks and could we meet her at the car and go home. On the way we got a call from Donna asking Deb to pick her up from the hairdresser's so we diverted and did so. Her new hairstyle really suited her. After dropping her at home we eventual got home ourselves and after a short rest Deb started again on Nat’s room.
Tonight was the final episode of Big Brother Eleven and the last BB ever aside from the special Ultimate BB they're running immediately after with the winner. Unfortunately, Deb had decided that this evening we were going to put together the wardrobe she'd ordered off of eBay. Now, normally, we're both pretty good at putting together flat pack furniture but, unfortunately, this second hand wardrobe didn't come with an instruction booklet. The previous owner had been good enough to write on each piece what it was but this didn't explain how everything slotted together. The upshot was that when BB11 started at 8:00 we were both trying to put the bloody thing together so we missed the start of the final evictions. Hannah, downstairs with Shantelle, kept calling up to us but we couldn't leave because we'd reached the stage where if we didn't keep a grip on the damned thing it would fall apart. Eventual, just before 9:00 we got it stable enough to leave and we went down stairs. Things went pretty much as expected; Andrew out; JJ out; Mario out and finally just Dave and Josie left. Eventually it was announced, to no one's surprise, that Josie was the winner. Well deserved because she seems to be a genuinely nice, if somewhat insecure, girl. Shortly afterwards she was sent back into the house and to be joined by the contestants in the Ultimate BB. What a motley crew they were, with the possible exception of Ulrika Johnson (who I rather like) and included among them was the TV personality hates most in all the World … John McCririck

 
Yes I am a Complete Twat 
Oh my God Deb, who normally doesn't hate anyone, hates this man with a vengeance; not because of his weird appearance but rather for his hateful attitude toward women. He is the man that the word misogynist could have been invented for. He's utterly hateful and seems to think that it's funny; he's said he'll be the first person evicted and I'm pretty sure he'll be proved right on that one. 

No comments: