Friday 27 August 2010

Home, Rescuing Nat’s Treasures, The Traveller Returns, Too Many Chips, Work and The Lottery

Deb and Han picked me up this morning, thank God I was too knackered to cycle, and we drove home via a quick stop at ASDA to get a few essentials (yes I do mean beer). Once home we filled the car with the crap Deb had chucked out of Nat’s room while she was decorating it. It filled the boot of the car quite easily and that was after I’d rescued a number of things I was sure he would want to keep. I’ve noticed that with women, if it’s not theirs they have no problem whatsoever in throwing things away without checking with the owner as to whether or not they wanted that item disposed of. On both the occasions when we’d moved house I‘ve invariably ended up discovering that certain “treasures of mine” never left the old place. I hope Nat’s grateful and realises what I service I’ve done him. If Deb had got her way he’d have come back to a room stripped of it’s history and bereft of it’s treasures. Anyway, my mission of mercy complete, after this I settled down to watch a little TV before going to bed. Deb planned to take Hannah to the cinema, again, and then to a local pub for lunch. I eventually went to bed at about 11:30 and by the time I woke Nat was back. He’d had a fantastic time and couldn’t wait to tell us everything he’s done.


Apparently when the coach had arrived at the central pick up point in Burnley there’d been a two hour stop over before going on to Castle Head so, once again, he’d watched most of the video of Avatar, still his all time favourite movie, before being whisked off in the coach bound for Castle Head; another hour and half saw him finally arrive around mid afternoon. I’ve yet to hear a chronological list of what happened after but at the moment the highlights appear to be Gyhll Scrambling (the spelling varies) which entails “scrambling” along a river bed while the river is still flowing over it; the video below should make this clearer :



In addition to this exhilarating pastime, there was, the fun of someone possibly Pooing their pants, although they may just have rolled in some animal droppings, meeting kids for a load of different backgrounds…including a few Scouser (people from Liverpool) Scallies and some Manchurians who subsequently fought with each other at the farewell disco (you can always rely on the underclass to embarrass the rest of us) plus kayaking and many other outdoor activities. Nat said that he wrote a list of the activities he undertook in the note book Deb gave him; so hopefully there’ll be a much fuller account of his week in Cumbria in his own blog entries.

Deb treated to chips, pies, sausages in batter and donner meat from the chip shop, there was far too much; none of us ate everything, before she drove me to work. The weather had improved vastly during the day and it was reasonably quite tonight. We had an amusing team buzz session early on in the evening and I undertook to check out the Camalot lotter website to see if there was an easier way of organising the team’s weekly Eurolotter entries. At present JDM collects the money monthly then he has, every week, make a trip to the supermarket to actual buy the tickets; is proving to be an increasing inconvenience for him. Perhaps we could organise things differently, perhaps direct debits and purchasing tickets on-line. I’m about to find out!

No comments: